Call Of Duty misses no. 1 for first time in 13 years, beaten by Assassin’s Creed
The first Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 games have appeared in the UK sales charts, including Spider-Man and Demon’s Souls.
Although the PlayStation 5 console isn’t released in the UK until this week, the games were released at retail on the 12th – the same day the console launched outside of Europe. Which means for the first time both Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 titles have appeared in the UK charts.
Surprisingly, it’s Assassin’s Creed Valhalla that came out on top though, ahead of Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. Although Valhalla was released on Tuesday rather than Friday and Activision has already announced that Cold War had record-breaking digital sales.
That’s the first time Call Of Duty hasn’t debuted at number one in 13 years, although the increase in digital sales and the complications brought on by the pandemic make it difficult to draw any real conclusions.
Even so, physical sales of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla were more than twice that of 2018’s Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, where usually sequels for ongoing franchises have been selling less and less each year when it comes to the physical version.
The PlayStation 4 version of Valhalla accounted for 42% of sales, with 18% on PlayStation 5 for a PlayStation total of 60%. That means the Xbox total was 40% but there’s no indication of what percentage was Xbox Series X/S, although it’s likely to be relatively high as the game was heavily marketed alongside the new consoles.
By comparison, Cold War’s physical sales were down 64% on last year’s Modern Warfare, which has become a typical drop for new sequels in the last few years.
In this case Xbox Series X/S sales were listed separately though, accounting for 9% of sales, compared to 17% for PlayStation 5, 34% for Xbox One, and 39% for PlayStation 4.
Sony’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales saw a 56% drop in sales from the last game, although since the game is not a full-length sequel and the PlayStation 4 version was announced rather late in the day it’s not quite a comparison of like with like. As it was, 71% of sales were for the PlayStation 5 version.
Sackboy: A Big Adventure at number 13 was the other cross-generation PlayStation exclusive, with a massive 89% of its sales being for the PlayStation 5 version.
Overall, PlayStation 5 games accounted for almost 19% of game sales last week in the UK, which is not bad going considering the console isn’t even out here yet.
UK all formats retail chart – 14 November
1 (-) Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (PS4/XO/PS5)
2 (-) Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (PS4/XO/PS5/XSX)
3 (-) Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5/PS4)
4 (1) FIFA 21 (PS4/XO/NS)
5 (2) Animal Crossing: New Horizons (NS)
6 (-) Demon’s Souls (PS5)
7 (6) Super Mario 3D All-Stars (NS)
8 (3) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (NS)
9 (5) Minecraft (NS)
10(4) Watch Dogs: Legion (XO/PS4)
Ukie Games Charts©, compiled by GfK
Email [email protected], leave a comment below, and follow us on Twitter.
MORE : Demon’s Souls PS5 review – the launch game From Hell
MORE : Godfall PS5 review – war without end
MORE : PS5 users experiencing major freezing bugs after only one day
Follow Metro Gaming on Twitter and email us at [email protected]
For more stories like this, check our Gaming page.
Source: Read Full Article